Appear TV IBC Launch of DVB-T2 Gateway
September 7 2012 - Appear TV, a leading global provider of next-generation head-ends for broadcast and IP television, today announced that the IBC launch of its DVB-T2 gateway means that it can now provide the only true end-to-end system for DVB-T/T2. Appear TV DVB-T/T2 designed and built solutions include all the elements required to complete a DVB terrestrial platform head-end including statistical multiplexing for increased bandwidth efficiency.
Appear TV DVB-T2 terrestrial gateway
Appear TV provides Terrestrial Modulators and Demodulators that when combined with its broad range of compression head-end processing modules offers terrestrial operators an extremely versatile and dense head-end solution.
The T2 gateway performs the critical adaptation functions required to provide DVB-T2 compliant streams, such as timestamp insertion for SFN, in-band modulator signalling, and provision of T2MI streams in either raw or encapsulated MPEG-2 T_S format for DVB-T2 distribution. The T2 gateway provides the following support for SFN networks:
- The functionality of up to five separate gateways can be implemented per option card
- All mandatory features of the T2 and T2MI 1.2.1 specification are supported
- The DVB-T2 Lite standard (non-FEF version 1.3.1) is also supported
- Support for IPv4 and IPv6 VLANs
- Dual physical IP output ports per gateway for redundant feeding of the distribution network.
Discussing the advantages of the Appear TV DVB-T2 solution, Carl Walter Holst, Appear TV CEO, said: “Making life easier is important; DVB-T2 operators can choose an end-to-end Appear TV system or they can deploy the DVB-T2 gateway as a single functional block in the terrestrial broadcast chain. Either way, we ensure that DVB-T2 operators are provided with all the advanced functionality, flexibility and reliability in a highly dense platform that they need to meet their business and operational goals.”
Appear TV combines support for the DVB-T2 multi-PLP concept with fresh innovations for distribution, whether over IP or satellite, to achieve the most efficient yet standards compliant multi-regional solutions possible.
The gateway supports the following tools for regionalisation:
- Flexible implementation of the DVB-T2 PLP concept
- Individual modulation parameter settings per PLP
- Generation of up to 250 PLPs (in total over all enabled gateways)
- Full re-multiplexing capability for each PLP
- Support for up to 64 regions.
Typically, the gateway will be used to provide a centralized approach to regionalization where regional content is back-hauled in compressed form to the primary head-end. With the centralized model, Appear TV can perform the signal generation with minimal overhead, providing extremely efficient distribution over any network, most typically IP, satellite or a mix of the two. The flexibility of the Appear TV DVB-T system enables it to also support alternative models.